Sunday, November 3, 2013

Santa Monica Sandwich Show Down: Andrew's Cheese Shop vs. Bay Cities Deli

While I was in Santa Monica, I did a lot of research on the best places to eat as I've never been to the area. Two lunch spots kept popping up, Andrew's Cheese Shop-http://andrewscheese.com/ & Bay Cities Italian Deli-http://www.baycitiesitaliandeli.com/. They're known for amazing sandwiches so I figured I try both during my 2 day trip.

 Andrew's Cheese Shop-This spot was closest to where I was staying so I tried it first. When you walk in it is in fact a little cheese shop with the slogan "This place stinks!" Thought that was pretty cute:-). Although they specialize in a variety of cheeses they also make yummy sandwiches daily. These sandwiches are pre-made and I found this disappointing at first...until I ate it. The sandwich was delicious. I ordered the Prosciutto and Fresh Mozzarella ($9) with roasted red peppers and pesto. It's served on an awesome, chewy hero roll that had a little flour dusted on the bottom. I was super impressed. The sandwich was very flavorful, the perfect size and easy to eat-not too messy which was important as I scarfed it by the beach. I give this sammy an A.

Bay Cities Italian Deli-This place had tons of reviews and about 99% of them good so naturally I had to give them a try. The item I read about the most is their Godmother Sandwich-Genoa Salami, Capicola, Mortadella, Ham, Prosciutto & Provolone. O.M.G. I was also told by my waitress the night before that this place had a slammin' mac n' cheese but that I had to ask for the mac with breadcrumbs, NOT the regular mac. Done and done. Of course I ordered both. A small Godmother with the works and a small side of the "special" mac n' cheese.

The Sandwich-It was good but I have to say I felt the fillings were less flavorful than expected. Next time I'll add spicy peppers as opposed to mild. The sandwich was huge, especially for the price at a modest $7. The big stand out was the bread. It was perfect-soft on the inside but had a crisp, "bubbly" exterior. I could have just eaten the bread. Hats off to the baker. I give the bread an A++ but the sandwich as a whole a B.

The Mac-This was pretty amazing but not your typical mac n' cheese. It was almost like a casserole. Super cheesy, which I loved, topped with garlicky croutons. The noodles were a bit over cooked for my liking but a top notch mac n' cheese none the less...an A it is!

I would conclude with saying the "perfect" sandwich, in my opinion, would be the fillings from Andrew's in the bread from Bay Cities. I would also like to add that Bay Cities had TONS of wonderful looking food items such as salads, sides, pasta dishes and meats. A complete smorgasbord of goodness. When I return, I will certainly head back to try more (and get another side of  mac n' cheese)...


Andrew's Cheese Shop's Prosciutto and Fresh Mozzarella Sandwich. 


Bay Cities Italian Deli's "The Godmother".


What has to be the best bread on the West coast...


My super cheesy mac n' cheese from Bay Cities. EAT UP!

No comments:

Post a Comment