Thursday, January 30, 2014

Reasons to Eat Up Goat Cheese...

I LOVE goat cheese. Dairy has been getting a lot of flack in recent years. Why? It's difficult to digest, full of fat (hence the deliciousness) and contains casein, a protein that causes many allergic flare ups including swelling and bloating. Do I still eat dairy? Yep. I have however been trying to cut back a bit and have pretty much cut cow's milk out of my diet. Cutting out cheese...a whole different story. Lucky for me (and other goat cheese lovers), goat's milk is much easier to digest and super flavorful so you don't need to use as much to add good texture and flavor. You can use it on anything where you use regular cheese-pizzas, tacos, sandwiches, on crackers, with fruit...you get my drift. For those of you that don't love the taste of goats milk (yet), it does come in different levels of flavors. Some are much more mild than others. Fun Fact: Mild goat cheese comes from farms where the males and females are separated. When they're housed together, their hormones are flaring which causes the milk to be more pungent. Just ask your dairy counter dude and he/she should be able to tell you whether the cheese has a more mild or strong taste. Kinda crazy how EVERYTHING effects our food huh?

Go ahead and eat up some goat cheese! MMMmmmm.



Creamy, salty goodness


I love putting goat cheese on my salads, especially with dried cranberries...YUM!


A perfect appetizer. Pair with olives and/or crackers and you're good to go! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment